Honors and Awards
- Bridgette Brawner earned a 2018 Richard L. Sowell Article of the Year Award from the Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (JANAC). [link]
- Anthea Butler appointed Presidential Fellow, Yale University, 2019-2020 academic year.
- Michael Hanchard was awarded the American Political Science Association’s 2019 Bunche Award for the best scholarly work in political science that explores the phenomenon of ethnic and cultural pluralism, for his book The Spectre of Race: How Discrimination Haunts Western Democracy. He also received a 2019 Making a Difference in Diverse Communities Grant for his project, "Memory and Identity in Afro-Brazilian Archives," that will catalogue two private archives containing over 20,000 documents related to Afro-Brazilian activists and pro-democracy movements from the 1960s to the 1980s.
- Lisa Lewis named a Fellow of the American Heart Association and was awarded a 2019 Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. [link]
- Dorothy Roberts received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Rutgers University-Newark in May 2019, and also gave the commencement speech at the ceremony. [link]
- Vivian Gadsden, Marybeth Gasman, and Howard Stevenson named to Education Week’s 2019 Edu-Scholar Public Influence Rankings list.
- Sharon Wolf received the inaugural Outstanding Early Career Investigator Award from the Society for Research on Education Effectiveness. [link]
Faculty Appointments and Promotions
- Ishmail Abdus-Saboor appointed as Assistant Professor of Biology, School of Arts and Sciences. Named Mitchell J. and Margo K. Blutt Presidential Assistant Professor of Biology.
- David K. Amponsah appointed Assistant Professor of Africana Studies, School of Arts and Sciences.
- Kathleen M. Brown appointed director of the Penn Program on Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies and the Alice Paul Center for Research on Gender, Sexuality and Women.
- Bridgette Brawner promoted to the rank of Associate Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing.
- Vivian Gadsden appointed Co-Director of the Ethnography Forum, Graduate School of Education.
- John L. Jackson, Jr. appointed Dean, Annenberg School for Communication. [link]
- Timothy Rommen appointed Graduate Group Chair, Department of Music.
- Krystal Strong reappointed Assistant Professor of Education, Graduate School of Education.
Books Published By Africana Studies Faculty And Center For Africana Studies Faculty Affiliates
- Ladysitting: My Year with Nana at the End of Her Century by Lorene Cary.